Friday, September 7, 2012



More than 3/4 of reptiles carry Salmonella.  Salmonella in reptiles is contained in the digestive tract, and exits their body with their feces.  Touching a reptile's feces, even trace amounts, and then ingesting it can pass the Salmonella on to humans.  While usually an unpleasant but not serious illness, the old, the young, and the immune deficient can die from Salmonella.  However, there are ways to prevent infection. 

First, always wash your hands with an antibacterial soap after touching the lizard and/or his enclosure. 
Secondly, keep the reptile away from kitchens and dining rooms where food is prepared or eaten.  

Thirdly, dispose of lizard feces in the toilet or trash can, not the sink or bathtub.  Also, do not bathe the lizard in the same place where you will bathe an infant or young child. 

With care, transmission of Salmonella from reptile to human can be avoided.


No comments: